the Universal Language

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mew, Karen Overton, Sufjan Stevens, and more.

Lately, I haven't heard a good deal of good albums. It's not that there isn't anything good out there, just what I've liked recently is well-known. Albums like Mew's And the Glass-Handed Kites, and Brand New's The Devil and God are Raging inside Me. Additionally, though 21st-century post-hardcore has its weaknesses, I would post the incredible track "Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste" by Norma Jean but I don't have the file with me. If anyone else has it, would they post it in a comment, please?

I also have the duty to mention that
the Shins' new album Wincing The Night Away is pretty good except the vocals sometimes sound empty or hollow
. The first track "Sleeping Lessons" doesn't start out as powerfully as "Kissing the Lipless" [5.37 MB] did for the Shins' previous album Chutes Too Narrow . Since the album is being hyped "all over" the internet, I am too lazy to review what a thousand other people have already reviewed.

Finally, I have some recommendations:

:: On Spec - "Knights of Columbos" :: [19.69 MB]
This track falls under the genre of "Progressive House". When listening to the track, I realized that the chord structure was reminiscent of a song "Why Are You Looking Grave" by the indie rockers Mew. My suspicions were confirmed towards the end where "Knights of Columbos" samples the piano at the end of the Mew song.

:: Karen Overton - "Your Loving Arms" :: [9.78 MB]
Another Progressive House track, this track is my favorite from Tiƫsto's latest mix album In Search of Sunrise: 5.

Yes, I know it is difficult for the average American to appreciate the seeming repetition of European techno and its various deviations. Perhaps the blame for this negative perception should rest on clothing stores like Abercrombie who mostly play unsettling electronic dance music at full volume. Good electronica can be repetitive, but it subtly varies and progresses creating a driving forward motion that can be energetic and sexy or inspirational and meditative. A quality sound system helps, of course.

:: Sufjan Stevens - "Holy, Holy, Holy" :: [8.80 MB]
This is a sacred song reverently sung by the amazing Sufjan Stevens to an acoustic accompaniment.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home